An EUR1 Movement Certificate is used to support claims for preferential (usually zero) rates of duty in the country of importation. Preference means that your customer aboard may pay a lower or ‘nil’ rate of import customs duty on your goods.

To qualify the goods must originate in the UK or EU, and be supported by a completed and endorsed EUR1.

Which countries apply?

  1. Exporters completing an EUR1 Movement Certificate must read a copy of the HM Customs and Excise Notices 827,828,829. (HM Customs and Excise National Help Line 0845 010 9000)

EUR1 Movement Certificates allow the applicant to claim preferential duty rates on goods being exported to countries with which the EC has a preferential trading agreement.

Preference means that your customer aboard may pay a lower or ‘nil’ rate of import customs duty on your goods.

The preference-giving countries are:

  • Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia (Maghreb group)
  • Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria (Mashraq group)
  • Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechenstein [European Free Trade Association (EFTA)]
  • Bulgaria, Romania
  • Faroe Islands
  • West Bank Gaza
  • Israel
  • Turkey (for agricultural and coal and steel products only – all other products are covered by Customs Union arrangements between the EC and Turkey)
  • Ceuta and Melilla
  • Mexico
  • South Africa
  • Albania
  • Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)
  • Croatia
  • Chile

Note: Bulgaria and Romania joined the European Community in January 2007

While the following countries do not give preference, products originating in the EC in accordance with preferential rules of origin can be exported to them under Donor Country content arrangements - See Paragraph 9.6:

  • The Western Balkans (Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Bosnia Herzegovina)
  • Some of the African, Caribbean and Pacific States (ACP), and Overseas Countries and Territories (OCT) details of which may be obtained from the Department of Trade and Industry (see paragraph 1.5). A full list of these countries can be found in Volume 1 Part 7 of the Tariff
  • GSP (Generalised System of Preferences) Countries - see Notice 826 and 828 for further details

Notice Numbers

Notice numbers shown for each country (above) are only applicable if the goods were manufactured by the exporter. Exporters who have bought in goods for export in the same state should make reference to the Notice 827 in their Declaration.

When completing an EUR1 form it is advisable, the exporter or authorised agent must consults HM Revenue and Customs Notices 832, 827, 828, 829 to ensure that the goods 'originate' in accordance with origin rules.

HM Customs and Excise National Help Line 0845 010 9000

How can the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce help?

  • The Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce can process export documentation:
  • Electronically via the e-Cert system.
  • Over the counter from the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce office.
  • By post.

How do I apply for an EUR1 Movement Certificate?

  • Collect a blank original EUR1 Form from the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce by emailing [email protected] call 01522 846929
  • Collect in person from the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce
  • By post

Filling out a EUR1 document

Follow our instruction about how to fill out your ATR correctly. If you need further help ring our International Trade team on 01522 846929

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take?

The ATR and EUR1 Movement Certificates are processed while you wait when submitted over the counter at the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce. Electronically through our e-Cert System, the process can usually be processed within two hours. Postal applications are processed and posted out on the same day as they are received.

What back up documents are needed with an EUR1?

A Commercial Invoice must always be submitted with your  EUR1 Movement Certificate applications. For ATR Certificates you will also need to provide the Lincolnshire Chamber with an Export Statement (stating the CPC Code and the Tariff Code) if the Export Declaration is not available at the time of application.

What’s the difference between ATR & EUR1 Certificates?

ATRs can only be used for Exports to Turkey. With ATR Certificates the goods do not have to be of EU origin to attract a zero rate of duty, only in free circulation in the EU, for example all duties and taxes are paid into the EU.

Do the EUR1 certificates have to be signed for by the company?

Yes, sign the Box 12 on pages 1 and 3 and complete relevant declarations and sign the bottom part of the page 4.

What weights need declaring on EUR1 certificates?

You can include the net weight, the gross weight - or both.