An ATR document is a goods movement certificate used for preferential treatment of goods moved between the European Community and Turkey.

All exporters should refer to PUBLIC NOTICE 812.

HM Customs & Revenue National Advice Help Line 0845 010 9000

This notice explains the rules which must be satisfied if goods are to qualify for preferential tariff treatment (Under the customs union which the EC has concluded with Turkey for a wide range of industrial products, and under the reciprocal traditional preferential trade arrangements which the EC has concluded with Turkey for most agricultural and all coal and steel products).

The countries in the EC are:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Demark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungry, The Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and The United Kingdom.

Industrial goods qualify for preferential treatment between the EC and Turkey in the following circumstances:

  1. Originate in: or
  2. Are in free circulation in either the Community or Turkey.

What goods are considered to be in free circulation?

The following are considered to be in free circulation

  • Imports from outside the Community or Turkey in which:
  • all imports formalities have been completed; and
  • any customs duties or equivalent charges have been paid and not repaid in whole or in part

One completion of the ATR document a copy of the exporter statement needs to be completed on company headed paper and submitted with the movement document.

How can the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce help?

The Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce can process export documentation:

  • Electronically via the eCert system if you are a registered user through your membership benefits.
  • Over the counter from the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce office by appointment. 
  • By post.

How do I apply for an ATR Certificate?

  • Collect a blank original ATR Form from the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce by emailing [email protected]  post

Filling out an ATR correctly

Follow our instruction about how to fill out your ATR correctly. If you need further help ring our International Trade team on 01522 846 929. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take?

The ATR and EUR1 Movement Certificates are processed while you wait when submitted over the counter at the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce. Electronically through our e-Cert System, the process can usually be processed within two hours. Postal applications are processed and posted out on the same day as they are received.

What back up documents are needed with an ATR/ EUR1?

A Commercial Invoice must always be submitted with your ATR or EUR1 Movement Certificate applications. For ATR Certificates you will also need to provide the Lincolnshire Chamber with an Export Statement (stating the CPC Code and the Tariff Code) if the Export Declaration is not available at the time of application.

What’s the difference between ATR & EUR1 Certificates?

ATRs can only be used for Exports to Turkey. With ATR Certificates the goods do not have to be of EU origin to attract a zero rate of duty, only in free circulation in the EU, for example all duties and taxes are paid into the EU.

What’s the limitation on products exported on an ATR certificate?

Yes. ATRs CANNOT be used for agricultural goods, minerals and steel (these require an EUR1 Movement Certificate).

Can an ATR/EUR1 Certificate be legalised by an Embassy?

No, these certificates can only be certified by the authorised Chambers of Commerce or HMRC.

If goods are being exported from another member state, can an ATR/EUR1 be applied for in the UK?

No, UK Issuing bodies are only allowed to facilitate preferential exports out of the UK. ATR or EUR1 will have to be issued in the relevant Member State by the exporter’s Agent.

Do the ATR/EUR1 certificates have to be signed for by the company?

Yes. On the ATR Certificate sign the Box 13 on pages 1 and 2.On the EUR1 sign the Box 12 on pages 1 and 3 and complete relevant declarations and sign the bottom part of the page 4.

What weights need declaring on ATR / EUR1 certificates?

You can include the net weight, the gross weight - or both.

How to check import duty rates that are applicable to customers overseas

There are two websites that you can use:

Please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the data or that the relevant websites will work